Friday, April 17, 2009

the great cataloging...


untitled, originally uploaded by marcofrey.

as i sort through and find paintings that i have not yet photographed i have made a few observations...
1. some of them were not photographed for a reason. that reason is usually because i think they are horrible paintings and should never been seen by anyone. that said, i'm going to photograph them anyway as they have brought me to where i am today. (once photographed though, they are completely at the mercy of the brush and chance getting a fresh face...)
2. i have come across a few works that have never been numbered. actually there are quite a few on paper that have never been signed, dated or numbered. some of my favorite works (past and present) are on paper (like number 58 here) so i'll soon go back and number all of them. that'll probably take me way over the 600 mark.
3. i found the folder of my works from my first painting class with eula. that's going to be so much fun to sort through and compare to my current stuff. a before and after fete!
4. this great cataloging project is really a lot of work, but i'm enjoying every minute. documenting my paintings, finding old gems, and working back through the years up to the present.

No comments: