Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sze Tsung Leong: History Images

went and saw this photography exhibit at the museum today. i had been there about a week ago on my lunch break and spent too much time in the first two rooms, photos by Taryn Simon. I was totally taken in by her photos and enjoyed them so much that i ran out of time. and then as i was leaving i noticed Sze Tsung Leong's work on my way out. I had to come back! Leong's work details the changing landscape of China's rapidly growing urban areas. I have always had a fascination for foreign lands and geography and these large scale photos really grabbed my attention. history is depicted by old dilapidated structures next to modern monstrocities. old cities being replaced sometimes without a trace. it's both sad and amazing to see. by far, my favorite shots were a trilogy each showing housing under the 3 main chinese era's: emperialism, communism and capitalism. the differences between these buildings are amazing. i'm glad for the growth and current changes undergoing in china but also hope that they don't erase too much of the historical structures.

this is a must see exhibit at the museum until October 1, 2006!

No comments: